By Jas Singh
The fastest way to become the best is to model the best.
Hiring is a difficult skill to master, but the greatest leaders use tools and strategies that get consistent results.
Here are five quotes on hiring from some of the greatest leaders of our generation.
Hopefully, they’ll make you think.
1. “Somebody once said that in looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence, and energy. And if you don’t have the first, the other two will kill you. You think about it; it’s true. If you hire somebody without [integrity], you really want them to be dumb and lazy.” – Warren Buffett
The more capable the candidate, usually the more integrity required.
2. “People are not your most important asset. The right people are” – Jim Collins
It’s true. It’s great that companies are embracing the value of their people but it’s just as important to assess their performance regularly – even against the market. Your team is performing well – but can it be performing better?
3. “The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it.” – Theodore Roosevelt
Better recruiting should mean less time spent on man management.
4. “Recruiting is hard. It’s just finding the needles in the haystack. You can’t know enough in a one-hour interview. So, in the end, it’s ultimately based on your gut. How do I feel about this person? What are they like when they’re challenged? I ask everybody that: “Why are you here?” The answers themselves are not what you’re looking for. It’s the meta-data. ” – Steve Jobs
Even the most painstakingly detailed and perfectionist leader of his generation realised that focussing on experience and qualifications doesn’t work. The intangibles are worth much more than the tangibles when it comes to hiring.
5. “Leaders don’t flock. You have to find them one at a time.” – Ross Perot
There’s no short-cut to hiring the right people. It takes time. Those who claim to fill vacancies easily and quickly are either hiring average people or worse.
6. “If you hire people just because they can do a job, they’ll work for your money. But if you hire people who believe what you believe, they’ll work for you with blood, sweat, and tears.” – Simon Sinek
Emphasize your beliefs. Then hire those who believe the same thing.
Often the quotes we agree with can be powerful. They can become beliefs.
What would be your quote on hiring?
Be A Great Leader. Increase Your Hiring Power
If you are a hiring manager and want revolutionary results, please reach out here